Midweek Flying - Wednesday afternoons

Forum for the discussion of Club matters

Midweek Flying - Wednesday afternoons

Postby Richard Walker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

RAF Wittering has agreed that the Club can fly mid-week on Wednesday afternoons. The plot is that the Club can set up after 1100 to start flying at 1200, and continue through until normal close of flying. Clearly, Club operations require a minimum number of people to operate safely, and normal supervision is essential: a Full Cat must be on the airfield exactly as would occur over weekends. The Club will be able to use tug and winch launching.

The plan is to start this arrangement on Wed 8 Feb, weather permitting: I shall be the DI on that day. I should be grateful if everyone planning to attend could let me know – if the numbers are insufficient to allow safe operations, I shall let those who contact me know by COP Tue 7 Feb that flying can not take place on that occasion.

As a word of caution, while military aircraft will not be scheduled to use RAF Wittering, operational plans may very occasionally change - and clearly the RAF gets first call on their airfield. However, close liaison with the Stn should limit the impact as far as is possible.

On a side issue, but equally as important, please remember that ‘volunteers’ are always required to assist our BGA Inspectors work on our Club aircraft. As a result, if flying can not take place for any reason there is always work to be done around the Club.

Richard
Richard Walker

Re: Midweek Flying - Wednesday afternoons

Postby deputychairman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:53 am

I will be there to play or work - forecast weather does not look promising but it might all change by next week!

Chris
07809 676315
deputychairman

Postby ColinD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

I also will be available for flying or aerotows etc
ColinD

Postby Richard Walker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:20 pm

I have a list of 7 people who have advised they will be at Wittering tomorow. The weather will be cold, and if the amount of snow on the fields in Lincolnshire is any measure, it looks like it will be aerotow only (assuming the runway/s taxiway) is clear and we have a tugdriver - Colin has advised he will be there. See you there.

Richard
Richard Walker

Postby Richard Walker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Quick bit of feedback, today's flying went well, despite the cold, with all people who attended flying. Ground conditions precluded winch-launching, but we got in some soaring - 25 mins off a 2000ft aerotow: not bad with the temperature on the ground at around 0 degC.

Next midweek flying is scheduled for Wed 15 Feb. I will be DI, but we could do with a tug pilot should we again be unable to winch-launch - any volunteers? Could anyone wishing to fly on the 15th please let me know - I will announce on the forum (this page) whether we have a quorum?

Richard
Richard Walker

Postby Nemadog » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Should be able to make it, weather permitting
Nemadog

Postby deputychairman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 pm

I expect to be there....
deputychairman

Postby Alex » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:48 am

I can make this weds
Gliding is life. Anything before or after is just crewing.
Alex

Postby Richard Walker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Having looked at the weather, the forecast is for a bit of breeze but should be within limits. The hope it for the winch, but we have 2 tug pilots who have advised they will be on the field. We can start setting up the field from 1100 and start flying from 1200. I shall be the DI and will go to ATC early.

Richard
Richard Walker

Postby Richard Walker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 am

FYI, flying on Wed 22 Feb is on, subject as always to the weather.

Richard
Richard Walker

Return to Club