Aircraft Maintenance

Forum for the discussion of Club matters

Aircraft Maintenance

Postby JohnB » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Annual inspections and ARC renewals naturally result in down time that results in loss of revenue and sometimes deprives Club Members from flying when they want to. We need a little more help for the maintenance team to do this work. You will know that any pilot of Bronze "C" and above may complete the majority of the tasks in the Glider Maintenance Schedule (GMS) and listed on the BGA Form 267. Please see the BGA Aircraft Maintenance Procedures (AMP) for any clarification required. The schedule does have to be authorised by an appropriatly approved BGA Inspector who will of course provide guidance on any tasks that you are not sure about. For Club a/c the committee are required to maintain a list of pilots willing and considered able to perform these tasks.Owner pilots are cleared to work on their own a/c. For the Falke, the inspection schedule is contained in the Light Aircraft Maintenance Schedule (LAMPS) and most tasks can be completed by any pilot licenced to fly it. Again it has to be authorised, (except for the 50 hour section), by an appropriatly approved inspector. On completion an inspector with a Chief Engineer rating on type carries out a review of the a/c and it's paperwork and on payment of the BGA/CAA fee, can then issue a fresh ARC.

We all have some skills that can be employed to a greater or lesser extent on these tasks that range from cleaning, polishing, lubricating, tyre inflating/replacing through to routine engine maintenance. Please may I urge any one who has a little time to spare to assist. R20 is in the warm well light workshop and the Falke is in the reasonably lit and draft free hangar 3. Check lists are normally with the a/c and advice will always be offered from the Tug Master, Instructors, Phil, Charlie or myself.

Thank you in anticipation, The a/c Member
JohnB

Re: Aircraft Maintenance

Postby JohnB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:19 am

Thank you to everyone who contributed with the cleaning, polishing, lubricating, painting, inspecting, adjusting and general fettling on Romeo 20 and G-FLKE . The weight of the paper work now nearly equals the AUW of the a/c so we should be able to return them to service in the near future. Thank you for your efforts. JB
JohnB

Re: Aircraft Maintenance

Postby baldrick » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I would like to say that it was a pleasure. I now have sore joints everywhere from all that polishing.......
baldrick

Return to Club